Monday, January 12, 2015

21 Things I Want My Daughter to Know

My Littlest Little:

Just six short days ago, I watched you turn one. It hit me like a ton of bricks. As I looked around our backyard that night, listening to our dear family and friends singing you "Happy Birthday" for the very first time as you soaked in the attention, I thought about how far we've come this year and began to dream about your future. In that moment, I realized that I had SO many things I wanted you to know about life, love, and being a woman. Life is so incredibly uncertain, and before you become even more opinionated and sassy (if that's even possible), I want to write down a few things I hope you take to heart as you navigate this crazy adventure called life. And, no, I'm not dying. Not yet anyway.

1. You are wildly beautiful. Period.
2. Your beauty has absolutely NOTHING to do with the way you look.
3. You are important.
4. Your importance has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything you did or didn't do.
5. Be kind. Always. Even on the hard days.
6. Kids can be RUTHLESS. Don't be one of them.
7. Life's not fair. Get used to it. (That one stinks, I know. But it is so true.)
8. Education is the most valuable gift I can give you. Even on the days you don't want to be there, pay attention in school, respect your teachers, and never EVER give up.
9. Teachers are not perfect. Not by a long shot. Respect them anyway. 
10. Always write hand-written thank you notes when you are given a gift. Old school? Maybe. Classy? Absolutely.
11. Chocolate is a magical, wonderful miracle drug that cure many ills. 
12. Biting your nails is a nasty habit that will be harder and harder to kick as you get older. Don't EVER start.
13. Choose your friends carefully. In the words of John McKinzie, "Show me your friends, and I'll show you your future." WORD.
14. Once you've found good friends, do everything you can to keep them. 
15. Show up when you commit to something. Nobody likes a flake.
16. Boys under the age of 25 are completely clueless.
17. You may not get married or ever utter the words "the one" until you are 25. (See above.)
18. When you become a mother, don't sweat the small stuff. If your baby is cared for and loved, nothing else matters. It's just doesn't.
19.  Write things down. Take lots of pictures. (And no, I'm not talking about selfies.)
20. Trust in God. He has a PERFECT plan for your life that was laid out for you before you even existed. It may not make sense at times, and it may not be fun at times. But, sweet thing, I assure you that it is PERFECT. Keep your eyes on HIM, and the rest will fall into place.
21. Lastly, LOVE. Love hard. Love intensely. Get your heart broken a few times, pick up the pieces, and try again. A life without love means nothing.

I love YOU, my sweet baby girl, and I cannot WAIT to see what amazing things are going to come your way as you grow and change.

1 comments:

  1. Love this! I still write handwritten thank you notes too! It is such a lost art, but so wonderful when you receive one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...